Friday, August 20, 2010

A person is a person no matter how small

We have had some family and friends not even acknowledge Cooper's death. No phone call or email. No contact whatsoever. I know for most of them it is because they do not know what to say. But a few comments that I have gotten and read on a forum that I belong to make me think some may believe it is not that big of a deal. "Pregnancies are lost all the time" and "You did not know him that long so it should not be that hard". Some act like it was not a loss at all but a health issue. Nothing could be farther from the truth. It may be different if you lose the baby early while it is still a fertilized egg but at some point that egg turns into a child. People will ask how I am doing but not ask how Matt is doing. While I appreciate people asking about me, Matt is hurting just as much as I am. Many people are devastated by the loss of Cooper. I have gotten a few comments that at least I was young enough that I could just try again. You can not just replace a child. That's not how it works. He was a person not a pregnancy. Can you replace a parent when they pass away? I think not. A person is a person no matter how small. When someone passes away, people take comfort in the memories of that person. I wish I had more time and memories with Cooper. 22 hours was not enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment