Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Extremely Thankful for....

I have read a lot of stories recently about other women who have encountered Severe Preeclampsia. One common theme seems to be a poor knowledge about Preeclampsia by medical providers and refusal by the doctors and nurses to believe the patient’s instinct that something is wrong.
After reading about some of these experiences, I realize how incredibly lucky we were to have the care of my OB office and UNC Hospital. Matthew and I have never had one doubt that we had the best possible care. I met every doctor in the Maternal Fetal Medicine department (high risk OB) at UNC. I never had to give a second thought about requesting a second opinion because I knew that the department would get together every day to discuss Cooper and me. When I was told the news that they were going to have to deliver Cooper that afternoon, there were nine doctors surrounding my bed. As scary & heartbreaking as that moment was, I knew that so many great minds had reviewed my case there was not a better option.
Besides being great doctors, they were great people as well. I knew they really did care which you don’t always find with a doctor. A couple of examples: The anethsealogist who was in charge during my c-section held the hand that Matthew wasn’t able to and at one point she started to cry with me. One of the high risk OBs shared that he and his wife had also lost a child so if Matthew or I ever needed to talk to let them know. I could really go on and on about the doctors at UNC.
The doctors at my OB office were wonderful also. Dr Groff kept calling UNC to check in that week and had the practice send flowers after we lost Cooper. After Rex Hospital had confirmed that I was stable enough for the trip to UNC and were waiting on EMS to get there, another doctor from by OB practice (Dr Wind) stayed with me holding my hand and crying with me. I had already sent Matt on his way to Chapel Hill so he could park and be there when I got there. Looking back it was so nice not to be alone.
I am extremely grateful for the care we received. I know there are women out there that did not have the same experience and will have to live with the “what if I had chosen a different doctor”. I am lucky that I will never have to wonder that.

No comments:

Post a Comment